Hi all! I just got back from a week in Seoul, South Korea (of all places). It was beyond amazing, but it feels good to be home, hanging with the cats and spending time with my brand new nephew who was born one month ago. I’m a first-time aunt, and I have to say it’s a pretty special feeling. 🙂
But enough about me, let’s talk Daredevil. I’ll just make this a brief news update so we can all get up to speed with what’s happened over the last couple of weeks.
The Daredevil movie rights are back with Marvel
I’m sure none of you missed this one: Two weeks ago, the president of Marvel Studios, Kevin Feige, went on record confirming that the rights to Daredevil (and associated characters) are now back with Marvel. This has been presumed to be the case ever since last fall, but until now, hadn’t been confirmed.
There is absolutely nothing to indicate that Marvel has any solid plans for the character at this point. Here’s what Entertainment Weekly had to report on the topic following a later interview with Feige:
“Screen rights for the blind superhero returned to Marvel Studios recently, but Feige didn’t indicate any movement on a new adventure for Daredevil anytime soon. “There comes a time in contracts where, if a studio is done making the movies, [the characters] come home,” he explained. “That doesn’t mean we’re going to make another movie. But it means they’re back in the fold, which is where we want them to be.” Phase four, maybe?”
This doesn’t surprise me and I’m really in no rush to see a movie made before the time is right and that might be a while with everything else Marvel has going on on the movie front. (Off topic: I went to see Iron Man 3, by the way, and loved it!) Besides, I’d much rather see Daredevil become a TV show down the line.
It’s clear that many other people feel the same way. ScreenRant wrote about this way back when Fox initially lost the rights to the character, and even Mark Waid seemed to be onboard with the idea. More recently, Panels on Pages has written about this, as have Digital Spy, MTV’s Splash Page, and Pajiba.
The current Daredevil creators give a bunch of interviews
- Mark Waid in a Q&A with Marvel.com
- Javier Rodríguez also talks with Marvel.com about his upcoming two issues of artistic double duty.
- Mark Waid video interview from C2E2, for Newsarama.
- Chris Samnee talks with both ComicBookMovie.com and Sequential Highway.
In other news…
- Marvel released an unlettered preview of Daredevil #26 that has been all over the Internet.
- The Daredevil book The Devil is in the Details (published by Sequart, edited by Ryan K Lindsay and featuring a chapter by yours truly) will soon be available in a comic book store near you. If there isn’t one near you, it’s also available through Amazon.com and has been for some time.
- I also recommend A.V. Club’s essay on the current issues of Daredevil and Daredevil: End of Days.
That’s all for now, folks! I will see you all soon.