“What’s that? A podcast?” Why, yes it is! Though you may be asking yourself why I would feel compelled to add yet another medium to this modestly active website, there are a few different reasons why I’ve decided to take this route, such as:
- I like talking.
- I like talking about Daredevil.
- Perusing this site while driving is most definitely not safe. Listening to me talk while driving is much safer, though I can’t guarantee you won’t choke on your coffee. As you can tell, I care deeply about your safety.
- Podcasting seems to be “in” right now. Being cool obviously means a lot to me.
- A couple of people have actually asked me whether I might consider doing a podcast. Consider it officially considered.
- It’s a challenge! I like challenges. At least the kind that doesn’t involve throwing myself from an aircraft at ten thousand feet.
So with all of these reasons in favor of doing a podcast, why has it taken me this long to actually get to it? Well, lack of time has been one reason, but certainly not the main one. The big hurdle I had to get past was coming up with a format that works even when it’s just me talking. It would be fun to have a co-host from time to time, or maybe do interviews, but if I’m going to do this on any kind of regular basis I can’t be dependent on other people helping me along. So, the key to getting this to work is do find a nice balance between improvisation and carefully planned talking points. You’re going to have to let me know how you think I’ve handled this one! Below is everything you need to know about this first episode, including relevant links or other resources mentioned. Thanks for reading and listening!
The Other Murdock Papers Podcast #1
On the podcast…
This podcast is 33 minutes long and some of the topics I cover are random news (Chris Samnee joins the team!, sales figures etc), what’s going on in New Avengers, and when exactly Daredevil: Season One comes out. We also talk about the sneak peeks of Daredevil #12 and #14, what happened in DD land 1, 2, 3, and 4 years ago and I also briefly offer my thoughts on Scott McCloud’s Understanding Comics. Finally, at the end, a look at the medical phenomenon of blind sight.
- Here’s the link to Chris Samnee’s website
- This sneak peek from Daredevil #12, by Chris Samnee, was posted on Twitter by Daredevil editor Stephen Wacker the other day (click the image to read the tweet). In an ill-disguised attempt to drive fans up the walls, he cut this beautiful page in half, creating much confusion when it comes to deciphering what exactly is depicted in that top left corner. So, here’s a contest for you. Whoever comes closest to guessing what the heck that panel is supposed to depict (post your answers in the comments below) wins a copy of Daredevil #145.